Makes about 30
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour, separated
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- brown mini M&Ms
- black candy melts
- yellow candy melts
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars together.
2. Add egg yolks one at a time, mixing well after each one.
3. Add vanilla and continue to beat until well combined.
4. Divide the mixture into 3 equal parts.
5. Remove 2 of the 3 parts, and place into a separate bowl, and set aside.
6. In the bowl with 1/3 of the original mixture, add 1 cup flour and mix until a dough forms. Set aside.
7. To the bowl with 2/3 of the original mixture, add 1 1/4 cups + 2 Tablespoons flour, and the cocoa powder. Mix until well combined.
8. Place the vanilla dough on a piece of plastic wrap. Roll the dough so it forms a log with a 2 cm diameter.
9. Take your chocolate dough and sandwich it between two pieces of plastic wrap.
10. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a 1.5 cm thick rectangle that’s as long as the vanilla dough log.
11. Now use your rolling pin to flatten the sides of the chocolate rectangle. The middle should remain thick, and the sides should be thinner so that they can wrap around the vanilla dough log. The thick part of the chocolate dough will be the Porg’s head.
12. Place the vanilla dough log on top of the thick part of the chocolate dough, and wrap the thinner sides of the chocolate dough around the vanilla log.
13. Use your fingers to smooth out the crease.
14. Cover the entire log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
15. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
16. Once the dough is chilled and firm, remove it from the fridge and slice it into 1/4 inch thick pieces.
17. Place each cookie on a prepared baking sheet.
18. Add two mini M&Ms for eyes, and place your cookies back into the fridge to chill for 10 minutes.
19. Once your cookies have finished cooling, place them in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
20. Allow your cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
21. Once your cookies have finished cooling, place the black candy melts into a microwave-safe bowl, and nuke at 30 second intervals until completely melted, stirring after each interval.
22. Repeat with yellow candy melts.
23. Using a piping bag or tooth pick, draw a frowny face and two wings on each cookie with the melted black candy.
24. Use the melted yellow candy melts to pipe or draw two feet on each cookie.